We formally recruit scholars every fall but we invite you to reach out to us at any time. We want to meet you and help you find an educational and career path that will best fit your needs and interests. If you want to obtain your Ph.D. and have an opportunity to conduct research, we strongly encourage you to click here to fill out a brief interest survey telling us more about yourself.
To be eligible for the McNair Scholars Program, a student must meet the following criteria:
- Completed at least 90 quarter units (60-semester units) at time of entry.
- A 3.0 minimum cumulative GPA.
- U.S. citizenship or permanent U.S. residency.
- Major in agriculture, biological sciences, physical sciences, social sciences, math, engineering, or humanities.
- Be both low-income and first generation to complete a baccalaureate degree OR be a member of a group underrepresented in graduate education (Including African American, Native American, and Chicano/Latino).
- Intend to pursue a Ph.D. after graduation. This program is not open to students intending to pursue professional degrees such as medicine, dentistry, veterinary medicine, management, or law.
- Students who have transferred from a community college are especially encouraged to apply.
- UC Davis McNair Scholars Program application
- Personal statement
- Two letters of recommendation
- College transcripts
- Financial information (If 1040 is not available please complete the verification of income form)
- Verification of income dependent form
- Verification of income independent form
Application materials may be submitted separately. You may email to firstname.lastname@example.org, mail, fax or turn in your application in person.
We are currently accepting STEM applications for our 2018-2019 cohort. Please contact the McNair Program Specialist, email@example.com, with any questions.